Earth Hour

Friday 19 August 2011

Poor planning!!!

I dont know if all of you have heard about the Shake The world (STW)campain... well if you have not let me give you a bit of background information on it...Well the STW campaign was set up to raise awareness on the MDGs (Millenieum Development Goals), and most of all, to show a worldwide audience what they can do themselves to contribute to the MDGs. Shake the World is about creating energy and a positive vibe around the goals. It represents the human face of the MDGs. Shake the World is not about being on track, or about winning or loosing. Instead, Shake The World is about collaboration, spreading positive stories and ending poverty together. (source: http://www.shaketheworld.org/ )

Now that we are on the same page I can tell you my story... My friends and I want to shake the world, we are always looking for ways to create positive change in communities... So the first step in shaking the world is wearing the bracelet... So after reading about how Edgars had partnered with rainbow collection in the STW campaign we decided to go to Edgars to purchase our bracelets (They sell for R20 go and get ur self one!!!)

Vee and I walk into edgars. I hate shopping so whenever I get into a shop I just ask for what I am looking for, I dont like the idea of hving to look for. So I smile at the first person I see wearing an Edgars badge, and I ask her bout the MDG bracelets but she looks at me all confused... She sends me to the Jewellery section, when i get there I am sent to the custom jewellery section... after being tossed around for about 20 minutes I decide to go to the customer service counter... The lady behind the desk tells me she doesnt know wat I am talking bout, as I am thinking of my next step I see a reflection of a tv flighting the STW campaign advert... I scream at the nearest edgars worker trying to get her to look at the advert but by the I get her attention they are already showing the blackberry advert... so we keep staring at the TV waiting for the advert to come up again... When t eventually comes the lady tells us she does not know anything bout the campaign...She looks through this month's Edgars magazine and there isnt anything bout the campaign... Feeling very defeated we start to find our way out of the shop and then I spot the STW poster, just as I am bout to throw a fit I then see a box full of the bracelets... I am so overjoyed, then I tell the till operator that I hv been searching for these everywhere... she goes like if twasnt for the morning live episode she watched she wudnt hv had a clue what the bracelets where for, but then she still did not know the full story... As someone who has a passion for education I took sometime to educate them bout the MDGs...

But i was so appalled by the way EDGARS handled the campaign... went they supposed to educate their staff before reaching out to the rest of the population??? How can someone promote something they do not know about??? What happened to living my the proverb CHARITY BEGINS AT HOME???? I still want to take this up with someone in management at EDGARS... for now I am happy I wearing my bracelet #MDG2

No comments:

Post a Comment