Earth Hour

Thursday 15 September 2011

Somebody almost walked away wid alla my stuff

Finally watched For coloured girls.... Totally inspiring, t had me in tears... Go out and buy/rent it if you hv not watched it... Below is one of the poems by Ntozakhe Shange which is featured in the film....



Somebody tried to walk away with alla my stuff
Expected me to sit there, smile sweetly, and just GIVE them alla my stuff
Figured since they'd done it time and again, it would be as easy as pie
Ha! Little did they know they had another thing comin'

Somebody tried to walk away with alla my stuff
But THIS time, I chased them down that street and beat them on the head
Latched my non-existent claws into their shoulders and hang on for dear life
Balled my fists into sledgehammers and hammer away I did
For the first time, second, and oh for thinkn' there would be a third

Somebody tried to walk away with alla my stuff
And now I'm sittin' on the floor of this jail, with nothin' else BUT my stuff
My memories, my fears, my hopes, my dreams, my shoulda-coulda-wouldas, ALL of it
My notions, my judgments, my naivety, my experience, my love, my hate, my sorrow, my joy
And for the first time ever, my cruel, undeniable, in-your-face truth

Somebody tried to walk away with alla my stuff
And now they a-nursin' in the clinic while I have the last laugh
Never did I know I could swing such a punch until they freakin' tried to take all my shit!
And yes, I'll probably lose it all before the darn trial is over
But damn, it never felt so good to whop an ass for tryna walk away with alla my stuff!

2 comments:

  1. how did you get this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Googled the words of the poem... U shud watch the movie if u hv nt...

    ReplyDelete